Preserve natural resources
Develop a "green economy" to ensure the development of a sustainable world: this is the objective that was highlighted during the Rio conference in June 1992.
- Distribution of environmental criteria in the design and production process of products and services.
- Revision of consumption and production methods in order to eliminate the use of fossil fuels in future decades.
- Development of renewable energy
- Continuous high quality research
- Recycling of mineral raw materials such as equipment
- Return of organic material to the soil for farm land
- Exploration of planning tools to take into account collective objectives, such as reducing greenhouse gases or raw material consumption, etc.
Many world strategies are found within the Bonduelle Sustainable Development strategy for preserving natural resources.
Managing Natural Resources
Bonduelle has always prioritised working through a network and sharing information between factories, subsidiaries and central departments. Objective: carry out our strategy in line with the social issues and specificities related to its activities.
- Annual meetings for sharing good practices and implementing the Group's policy.
- Internal experts visit factories every three years: they use a common assessment form in order to assess the performance of the methods used and share good practices.
- Technical reference guides list the good practices.
- Training cycles are organised for employees: thermal power, optimising aseptic canning processes, optimising industrial refrigeration – positive and negative.
Water and energy consumption
In 2014-2015, stakeholder efforts carried out for almost 10 years were rewarded: the energy performance of our factories is positive. The energy consumption ratios per manufactured tonne were achieved. They were reduced (at constant activity volume) by 5,9% for water and by 2,6% for energy, compared to the previous year. These good results were made possible by :
- Thermal processes.
- Renewal of tools and equipment with a view to saving energy.
- The implementation of the "Frugal Factory" project conducted in partnership with EDF's Research and Development department and the Paris Ecole des Mines Centre Energétique des Procédés (Process Energy Centre) from 2009 to 2011. This programme has led to the implementation of solutions impacting several operations, all based on energy integration. These solutions are subject to reference actions in our pilot factories and other factories of the Group.
- down 50% of water consumption in ten years in percentage use of this resource per tonne of manufactured product (2003 - 2003 / 2013/2014)
- ISO 50 001 international certification for 9 industrial sites
Perfomances recorded this year show the decoupling between growth in activity (+ 7,7%) and energy consumption (down 9%)
Virgin resources and renewable energy
Bonduelle is continuing its efforts to optimise packaging and logistics circuits. In "frozen" technology for example, our actions led to significant improvement of secondary packaging methods thanks to tools enabling boxes to be filled more efficiently
- The packaging reduction policy applies to all methods of packaging: cans and plastic film.
- The reduction in the thickness of packaging is aimed at saving 500-tonnes of metal in Europe.
- The integration of environmental criteria in product design is very important at Bonduelle. Packaging is a major element in this initiative.
Recovering of ordinary industrial waste is also a priority. Objective: reach a 80% recovering rate through selective sorting at the source and an adapted purchasing policy.
Bonduelle is exploring and supports several projects to minimise dependence on fossil fuels: co-generation, anaerobic digestion, not forgetting the organic deposits the Group possesses… Sustainable alternatives are being carefully explored, especially in Canada (since 2011) and in France (by 2015).
Processing of effluents and local integration figures
Focus on the quality of emissions
Going beyond the actions of the Frugal Factory programme, the group has set itself the target of supporting five innovative projects promoting the use of alternative energy in 2018. To date, the five projects have already been completed at Nagykőrös, Békéscsaba (Hungary), Saint-Denis (Quebec), Renescure and Estrées-Mons (France).
Assessing environmental impacts in order to reduce them
Since 2011, we have been contributing to the French Ministry of Ecology's efforts to limit environmental impacts. Through our first experiment on a standard can throughout its life cycle, we are committed to an initiative to reduce our impacts group-wide. The results will be used in 2012-2013 by internal stakeholders.
Results and perspectives
Reduction in 2014-2015 of energy consumption in factories by 2,6% (at constant activity)
Achieve a decrease of 5% per year by 2014.
Reduction in 2014-2015 of water consumption in factories by 5,9% (at constant activity)
Achieve a decrease of 3% per year by 2014.
82% of ordinary industrial waste was recycled in 2014-2015
Recycle 80% of OIW by 2015.
Bonduelle also intends to launch 5 projects for the development of renewable energy in 5 years.